A pair of UK students have been named in the 12 finalists of the jumpthegap international design contest by Roca.
Loughborough University students Ruoshi Zhuang and Shuanghai Hou will represent the UK in the with their Bath-Theater, transportable bathroom facilities for homeless people.
It has been designed as a social interaction point, as well as practical bathing facilities, to improve the hygiene and health of people who are living on the street.
The self-service bathing facility uses heat generated from the batteries to warm the water and a rainwater collection system is used to replenish the water tank.
Ruoshi Zhuang and Shuanghai Hou were chosen out of 5,000 participants from 137 countries, who took place in the eighth edition of the competition.
Jumpthegap requires students and architecture professionals to design sustainable solutions for bathrooms of the future.
It includes three categories Professional, Student and the We are Water Foundation Special Prize.
Winners of the Professional and Student categories will receive prizes of € 10,000 and the winning project of We are Water Foundation will scoop € 6,000.
Finalists of jumpthegap
- Chall by Shahram Janbarari (Iran)
- U-Bath by Elena Prokhorova and Olga Bogdanova (Ukraine)
- Morpho by Eduardo Cardenas (United States)
- Multix by Milan Rankovic (Serbia)
- Trickle by Sean Yeoh, from Nouva Accademia di Milano (Italy)
- Natur by João Nunes and João Meneses, from the Polytechnic Institute of Cávado e do Ave (Portugal)
- Onemin by Simon Mayer, from Moholy-Nagy University of Arts and Design (Hungary)
- Care bee by Janos Priskin, from Moholy-Nagy University of Arts and Design (Hungary)
We Are Water Foundation Special Prize
- Ecociety by Engin Özden (Turkey)
- Bath-theater by Ruoshi Zhuang and Shuangtai Hou, from Loughborough University London (United Kingdom)
- Tik-Tap by Soyeon Lee and Hyemin Min, from Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti (South Korea)
- Mater #watermatters by Laura Codina (Spain)
Winners of the jumpthegap competition will be announced at an awards ceremony held at the Disseny Hub in Barcelona on October 10, 2019.