Head of product development at Moores Furniture Group, Andrew Story has joined the Furniture Industry Research Association (FIRA) council
It helps bolster the council’s representation from the kitchen sector, which accounts for nearly 10% of the association’s membership, with a combined turnover of around £2billion annually
Story was a British Standards Institute (BSI) committee member during the recent updates of two rulings for domestic kitchen equipment.
These included BS 6222-2:2009+A1:2017 Domestic kitchen equipment: Fitted kitchen units, peninsular units, island units and breakfast bars. Performance requirements and test methods and BS 6222-3:2017 Domestic kitchen equipment: Performance requirements for durability of surface finish and adhesion of surfacing and edging materials. Specification.
Speaking on Story’s appointment, Phil Reynolds, chief operating officer at FIRA said, “It’s a key priority to have a good balance of Council members to reflect the membership.
“We did identify that we had a gap from the kitchen sector and by Andy joining us we’re readdressing this.
“It’s only through having a cross-section of Council members that we can ensure that the Research Association delivers across the entire furniture sector, without bias towards one segment.
“A few months ago Andy met the Council and both parties were eager for him to get on-board.
“I look forward to his participation in his first formal Council meeting in June and for the kitchen sector to once again have a stronger voice.”
He joins the council which includes
- Charles Vernon (Chairman)
- Mark Richardson (Vice Chairman), Blum UK
- Suzie Radcliffe-Hart (Secretary), FIRA International
- Phil Reynolds (Chief Operating Officer), FIRA International
- Brian Ahern, British Furniture Manufacturers
- Jessica Alexander, National Bed Federation
- Anne Barber, In Heaven at Home
- Alan Bennett, co-opted member
- Steve Barton, co-opted member
- Eric Catton, Catton Associates
- Paul Critchley, Home Retail Group plc
- Andy Green, co-opted member
- Jonathan Hindle, KI Inc.
- Rob Jones, ScS
- Rodney McMahon, Morgan Furniture
- Nigel Punshon, Hille
- Andrew Story, Moores Furniture Group
- Rob Veitch, Element Materials Technology